Route Planning and Transport Management System
Transportation management solution for a company that provides logistics and warehousing services. Solution includes automatic route planning module creation and integrations with business ecosystem.
About a Project
Our customer provides warehousing and cargo long-distance delivery (mainly for drop-shipping) and has a separate branch of last-mile delivery service for marketplaces of various sizes. The company needed transportation management and automated route planning software. It has to be integrated with the already existing business systems.
Goals set to Cleveroad
Automation of route planning to optimize employees’ workflow
Developing the transportation management system
Solution’s integration with existing logistic management system
Solutions we've delivered
Creation of a flexible and highly customized solution including automated route planning with manual adjusting option and control module. Developing a drivers’ mobile app to navigate through the custom routes
Creation of a turnkey transportation management software solution to automate control of fleet, delivery points, and all other stages of the supply chain in the company
Transfer of warehouse data from the customer's warehouse management system (WMS). Creation of a "Jobs for delivery" module, its integration with warehouse and customer relationship management systems
Results for the Customer
The total delivery time optimization and loss minimization
Overhead reducing, covering all logistics processes in the company with a single system
Growth of the return on each vehicle unit and increasing the whole gross profit
The fast-growing logistics company based in the USA and reached gross logistics revenue of US$200 million by 2021.
The solution ought to help the customer to:
Reduce cost and time spends on route planning and control to increase revenue from transportation services
Optimize fleet maintenance cost to grow up the return on each vehicle unit
Build an organic and interconnected business ecosystem to cover all logistics operations and scale profits through modules’ synergies
Automation of route planning to optimize workflow
It was imperative to automate these operations and create a special module for them. At the same time, transportation management system solutions had to preserve the possibility for fleet managers and dispatchers to build a custom route.
Developing the transportation management system
We had to provide a software platform covering all processes, including the cargo transportations settings, employees’ workflows, the fleet control, and the Last Mile Delivery service. All data must be processed in real-time.
Solution integration with logistic management system
The company had an established business process with customer relationships, warehouse management, and HR systems. We had to integrate our solution into it, achieving smooth interactions without data items duplication or failures.
Project in Details
- Existed route planning solutions were not automated at all. Therefore, transportation management was performed with a high risk of human factor mistakes. We've rebuilt the route planning process and made it auto-suggested.
- We've also provided the company's dispatchers and fleet managers with the option of routes' adjusting. After completing a transportation management system project, they can correct the path manually in navigation issues or lack ready-made maps.
- We have developed a mobile application for truck drivers as one of our transportation management software solutions. The route planning app provides drivers with the scope of navigation features, as was required.
- We’ve created a role-based controlled access system for company staff. It allows onboard employees as TMS users, grant permissions, and manage access levels. Users can be added from the HR system directly. The solution allows editing employees’ info and adding custom users.
- We also have developed a Fleet Management module. It allows creating groups of vehicles used in the whole transportation workflow; they can be adapted to changing business processes. Bulk uploads of vehicle data in CSV format are also included in the solution’s functionality.
- We've created a delivery points management module. It allows users to define everyday work locations and see real-time data as it changes. We have provided flexible adding and editing of basic and custom delivery points to configure parameters meaningful for the delivery process.
- We've created a complete transfer of warehouses’ information from the customer's WMS to our system. We've provided a data pull-in via the "all by one-click" feature (CSV upload). It allows users to add data easily, validate it, and avoid labor-consuming one-by-one input.
- We've created a "Jobs for delivery" module to establish integration with customer's WMS. The transportation management services solution supports receiving Jobs/Delivery lists and clear data flow with real-time updates.
- We’ve integrated the "Jobs for delivery" module with an existing CRM, too. Due to it, all Jobs are reflected in the system, including orders for delivery without involving a warehousing service, last-mile-delivery orders, and some other tasks that come directly from the customers.
The total delivery time optimization
Due to route planning software and custom adjusting, our customer can better process orders and reduce cost and time spent. All itineraries have become realistic and playback; the ability to adjust them manually increased the flexibility of routing.
Total logistic overhead reduction
An indicator decreased by 27-36% due to automation, better control of vehicles and route planning, optimized warehouses’ management, real-time data processing, and covering all logistics operations by a single system.
Growth of the return on each vehicle
It increased due to more efficient truck loading and workflow acceleration in the new ecosystem. Optimizing fleet maintenance, warehousing, and cargo delivery allowed the company to raise its gross profit.